Contact Information:
(505) 827-2855 MAIN // 1-800-219-6157 (toll free)
Environmental Emergencies:
505-827-9329 (24 hrs)

New Mexico
Environment Department

Report an Environmental Problem

We encourage you to let us know about environmental problems. The sooner
we know about an issue, the sooner we can take steps to respond.

Environmental EMERGENCY (24-hrs)



866-428-6535 (voice mail, 24 hrs/day)

505-476-6000 (to reach NMED staff during during business hours; M-F, 8-5pm)

If you caused a hazardous substance or oil spill, you are REQUIRED to report it.

Even with good management practices, accidents can happen. The owner, operator, or person
in charge of any facility where a discharge has occurred must notify NMED.

What kinds of issues should be reported by the public or a facility?

Please be ready with as much information as possible:

  • What is the problem?
  • Where is the problem location?
  • When did the problem occur?
  • How long has the problem been going on?
  • What kind of material or substances are involved?
  • How much?
  • Who is involved or responsible?
  • Have any actions been taken already?


For More Information:

Hazardous spills

(Oil spill, fuel draining from a vehicle accident, hazardous chemicals leak)

Ground Water Quality Bureau (spills)

Hazardous Waste Bureau (haz waste questions)

Unauthorized discharges

Ground water Quality Bureau

Surface Water Quality Bureau


Air quality issues: asbestos, smoke

(burning of household trash - not including yard waste, brush, etc.- is prohibited)

Air Quality Bureau

Asbestos Info / Open Burning Info

Air Quality Hotline

Illegal dumping

Solid Waste Bureau


Food health issues

(possible foodborne illness)

Food Program



If you are unsure whether or not you should report a particular issue, it is better to err on the side of caution and report it.

Any amount of any material in such quantity as may with reasonable probability injure or be detrimental to human health, animal or plant life, or property; or may unreasonably interfere with the public welfare or the use of property must be reported.

This includes chemical, biohazardous, petroleum-product, and sewage spills and incidents.

In addition to recent spills, the discovery of evidence of previous unauthorized discharges, such as contaminated soil or ground water, also must be reported.

Harold L. Runnels Building // 1190 St. Francis Drive, Suite N4050 // Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505 // tel. (800) 219-6157, (505) 827-2855

About Us Contact Us A-Z index Site Map Website Information NM Sunshine Portal