State of New Mexico > Environment Department > Liquid Waste Program
NMED Home Page

Free Well Testing 

We provide free tests of private domestic wells to our clients.  To get your well water tested:
  1. Collect a sample from the cold water tap of your kitchen sink.
  2. Collect at least one quart of water in a clean, covered, glass or plastic container such as a canning jar or water bottle.
  3. Old samples can give inaccurate results.  Collect the sample as close to the time of sample delivery (to one of our offices) as possible and write down the date and time you took the sample.  
  4. If possible, download and fill out the Well Testing Form in color or black and white (Adobe pdf color, 139 KB; Adobe pdf B&W, 139 KB).  Completion of the Well Test Form is requested, but not required, to obtain a water test. 
  5. If you have a Global Positioning System (GPS) unit, please determine the latitude, longitude and elevation of your wellhead, and add that information to the Well Testing Form. 
  6. Bring your water sample, along with the Well Test Form, to the nearest NMED office.  If you did not bring a completed Well Test Form, you will be asked to fill one out at our office.
  7. We will test your water for fluoride, iron, and nitrate.  Tests for electrical conductivity (a measure of total dissolved solids) and organic vapor may also be performed subject to instrument availability.
  8. We will mail you the results on the Well Test Form when the analyses are completed.  The back of the Form contains information about the constituents that were tested for, and about acceptable levels of these parameters for domestic water supply.

Confidentiality Notice - The names, addresses, phone numbers, and GPS coordinates of homeowners and wells are kept confidential and are not released to the public.  Upon request, we provide summaries of well-water quality data by general area (e.g. Alcalde). 

We do not test water, on-demand, provided by a public supply system, since testing is already done as required by the federal Safe Drinking Water Act.  Contact the NMED Drinking Water Bureau to obtain test results if you are served by a public water system.

page last updated