New Mexico
Environment Department

Contact Information:
(505) 827-2855 MAIN // 1-800-219-6157 (toll free)
Environmental Emergencies:
505-827-9329 (24 hrs)

Food Program

Home-Based Food Processor Application

A Home-based Food Processor permit is required to produce non-TCS foods at home and sell them directly to consumers at locations such as farmers markets, road side stands, and fiestas in locations under NMED’s jurisdiction.

Non-TCS foods that are allowed to be produced in a home include: standard high sugar containing jam/jellies, non-cream filled baked goods (yeast and quick breads, cookies, cakes, fruit pies, etc.), tortillas, candy/fudge, and dry mixes (made with commercially processed ingredients).

When you have completed the application and plan review application, please contact the nearest NMED Field Office for submission instructions.  Applications must be complete.  Incomplete applications will not be acted on by NMED staff.

Once received, the application will be evaluated for completeness. If the application is not complete, it’ll be returned to you to complete.  If the application is complete, it will be routed to a food specialist for review.  Once the review is complete, you will receive an email or phone call requesting further information or notifying you the application has been accepted.  After an application is accepted, a food specialist will schedule an opening inspection*, collect the permit fee, and approve the facility to open.

  1. Application for Permit to Operate
  2. Home-Based Food Processing Plan Review Application
  3. Guidance for Home-Based Food Processing Operations

NOTE: Residents of the City of Albuquerque are not eligible to receive a permit for a home-based food processing operation permit.  The city is outside of NMED’s jurisdiction, and similar regulations have not been adopted by the City of Albuquerque. Residents of unincorporated areas of Bernalillo County may be able to obtain a permit for a similar program from the county Health Protection Team. 

If  you would like to verify the jurisdiction of your home address, please visit the map on the Bernalillo County Environmental Health Guide page or contact their Health Protection Team at 505-314-0310.  

If you have questions or need assistance please contact us.

*Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, opening inspections may be conducted virtually.