State of New Mexico > Environment Department > Ground Water Quality Bureau
NMED Home Page

Public Notice FAQ

frequently asked questions about the public notice process

Q.  What are the public notices for?

A.  There are two public notices, known informally as PN-1 and PN-2. 

  • The PN-1 informs the public that someone is applying for a Discharge Permit, and is performed by the permit applicant after an application is deemed administratively complete. 


  • The PN-2 informs the public that there is a draft Discharge Permit ready for review and public comment, and is done by NMED-GWQB after the application is deemed technically complete and the permit is drafted.


Q.  What are the requirements for public notice PN-1?

A.  Public notice requirements can be found in NMAC.  A summary of requirements can be found here.


Q.  How/When can I start my public notice requirements for my site? 

A.  NMED will provide materials for the public notice after the application is deemed administratively complete.


Q.  How can I get involved in the permitting process? 

A.  Contact the person listed in the public notice.  It is helpful if you have the Discharge Permit number (DP-###) for the site you are interested in.

page last updated