Information for Homeowners
Homeowners may qualify to install a liquid waste system after passing a homeowners installation test administered at your local NMED Field Office. Please contact your local field office for more information.
- Homeowner Installation Manual (English Version)
- Guía para el Dueño de Casa: Cómo Instalar un Tanque Séptico y Campo de Desagüe (Spanish Version)
REQUIREMENTS FOR QUALIFICATION, Section 126.96.36.1994(A) NMAC
- A homeowner must become qualified to install an on-site liquid waste system by passing an exam administered by the department.
- Homeowner training materials and opportunities for exams, by appointment, shall be available at all department field offices.
- A qualified homeowner may apply for a permit to install or modify a conventional on-site liquid waste treatment and disposal system serving the qualified homeowner’s personal residence in accordance with Subsection C of 188.8.131.521 NMAC.
- A qualified homeowner shall not install or modify an on-site liquid waste system serving a rental unit, or other property that is not the qualified homeowner’s personal residence.
- A homeowner qualification shall be valid for one year from the date of issuance of qualification; the department may extend the qualification beyond one year for good cause shown.
- A qualified homeowner may install no more than one liquid waste system during a twelve month period.
- A qualified homeowner who self-installs a system shall not compensate any person to perform any phase of the system construction, unless that person holds a valid and appropriate classification of contractor’s license issued by the New Mexico construction industries division.
Financial Assistance Programs
Various programs may provide grants or loans to help those who qualify for assistance. These agencies are independent from the New Mexico Environment Department. You must meet each agencies requirements and follow through with that agency. NMED is not affiliated with any independent financial assistance programs and is not responsible for communicating with these agencies.
- United States Department of Agriculture Rural Development
- EPA- Environmental Protection Agency