Mission: To preserve, protect and improve New Mexico’s groundwater quality for present and future generations.
Overview: The role of the Ground Water Quality Bureau is to protect the environmental quality of New Mexico’s groundwater resources as mandated by the Water Quality Act and the New Mexico Ground and Surface Water Protection Regulations (20.6 NMAC), and to identify, investigate, and clean-up contaminated sites which pose significant risks to human health and the environment.
The Ground Water Quality Bureau:
- Issues ground water pollution prevention permits
- Implements the department’s responsibilities under the New Mexico Mining Act to ensure that environmental issues are addressed and standards are met
- Oversees groundwater investigation and remediation activities
- Identifies, investigates, and remediates inactive hazardous waste sites through implementation of the federal Superfund program
- Oversees agreements between the state and responsible parties
- Implements the Voluntary Remediation Program
The Bureau also strives to increase industry and public understanding and awareness of the importance of safe groundwater supplies in sustaining the quality of life in New Mexico for this and future generations, and the importance of protecting groundwater quality through pollution prevention initiatives.
The Bureau is comprised of the following five technical sections, to learn more about each section please visit their webpage:
- Agriculture Compliance Section
- Mining Environmental Compliance
- Pollution Prevention Section
- Remediation Oversight Section
- Superfund Oversight Section
GWQB Public Involvement Plans (PIP)
The Bureau encourages the public to learn about and get involved in regulatory decision-making opportunities for facilities GWQB regulates. The purpose of the PIP is to provide public participation opportunities and information that may be needed to participate in GWQB regulatory activities. To view PIPs in your community, please visit the GWQB PIP Website.
GWQB email updates
Click the Icon below to receive email updates on GWQB Discharge Permitting activities, Brownfields Program announcements, GWQB General News, and other topics of interest.