Operator Certification Courses
Operator certification courses for 2021 have not been scheduled. Please review the Guidance Regarding Operator Certification for more details.
|Landfill Operator Certification Course
|Transfer Station Operator Certification Course||
|Recycling Facility Operator Certification Course||TBD||TBD|
|Compost Facility Operator Certification Course||TBD||TBD|
Each of the operator certification courses is worth 24 CEUs towards renewal of any solid waste operator certification.
Students should bring:
- Pen or pencil
- Highlighter, sticky notes (recommended)
- PPE for facility tour (vest and safety boots required)
- Basic calculator (required for landfill and transfer station exams; cell phones will not be allowed)
- Ruler or engineering scale (required for landfill exam only)
Students with disabilities, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, may contact Genevieve Morgan, Solid Waste Bureau, to request any necessary accommodations at the course location when registering for the course.
For More Information
Please check back for online CEUs to become available for solid waste facility certified operators.
Contact: Genevieve Morgan
Additional Training Opportunities
CEUs for renewal of operator certification are often offered by:
Requests for Alternate CEUs can be submitted through the Alternate CEU Approval Form
Operator Certification Requirements
To become a certified operator an individual shall:
- Complete the appropriate certification training course.
- Pass an examination approved by the department.
- Have at least one year of experience in the operation of a facility of the same type as that for which certification is sought.
- File an application with the department on a form provided by the department.
- Meet the requirements of the Parental Responsibility Act, NMSA 1978, Sections 40-5A-1 to 40-5A-13 (1998 Cum. Supp.).
Operator certification is valid for 3 years from the date of issuance.
Renewal of a certification shall be obtained by submitting an application at least 30 days prior to the expiration date and successfully completing one of the following:
- An operator certification training course offered by the department or its designated agent; or
- An alternate training course which has been approved by the department; or
- 24 hours (CEUs) of course work which has been approved by the department.
For More Information
Contact: William (Bill) Schueler
Check Operator Certification Status
Operators may view their certification status at the Solid Waste Bureau’s SEP database.