The Hazardous Waste Bureau manages and implements Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) permits and corrective action at treatment, storage and disposal facilities and permitted hazardous waste facilities throughout the state, exclusive of Indian lands.
Bureau staff responsibilities include:
- Review of permit applications, modifications, closure plans and post-closure care applications for hazardous waste treatment, storage and/or disposal for compliance with hazardous waste regulations
- Review of corrective action work plans and reports, such as RCRA facility investigations, accelerated corrective actions, interim measures and and corrective measure studies
- Conducting soil, ground water, and surface water sampling events at treatment, storage and disposal facilities
- Coordination with other NMED programs and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
All permitting forms and applications are available on the NMED Forms page.
Permitted Hazardous Waste Facilities in New Mexico
- Cannon Air Force Base
- Fort Bliss
- Fort Wingate Depot
- Holloman Air Force Base
- Kirtland Air Force Base
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Melrose Air Force Range
- NASA White Sands Test Facility
- Sandia National Laboratories
- Waste Isolation Pilot Plant
- White Sands Missile Range
- Advanced Chemical Treatment
- General Electric
- Navajo Refining Company-Artesia
- Philips Semiconductor
- PNM Persons Generating Station
- Safety Kleen, Albuquerque
- Safety Kleen, Farmington
- Sparton Technologies, Inc.
- Roswell Compressor Station – Transwestern Pipeline Company, L.L.C.
- Triassic Park Waste Disposal Facility
- Western Refining Southwest, Inc.- Bloomfield Refinery
- Western Refining Southwest, Inc. – Gallup Refinery