The Environmental Improvement Board (EIB) was established under NMSA 1978, Section 74-1-4 (Board creation and organization). The EIB must adopt and promulgate nearly all regulations administered by the Department before they are implemented, with the exception for ground and surface water regulations, which are adopted by the Water Quality Control Commission. The Board also hears appeals of air quality permits issued by the Department. Pursuant to NMSA 1978, Section 74-1-8, the EIB is responsible for environmental management and consumer protection and must promulgate rules and standards in the following areas:
- food protection;
- water supply;
- liquid waste;
- air quality management;
- radiation control;
- noise control;
- nuisance abatement;
- vector control;
- occupational health and safety;
- sanitation of public swimming pools and public baths;
- plumbing, drainage, ventilation and sanitation of public buildings in the interest of public health;
- medical radiation, health and safety certification and standards for radiologic technologists;
- hazardous wastes and underground storage tanks; and
- solid waste.
The EIB consists of seven members appointed by the governor and confirmed by the state senate. The members of the Board are appointed for overlapping terms, with no term exceeding five years. No more than four members shall be appointed from any political party. A majority of the membership of the Board must be individuals who represent the public interest and do not derive any significant portion of their income from persons subject to or who appear before the Board on issues related to the federal Clean Air Act or the Air Quality Control Act. Any vacancy occurring in the membership of the Board is filled by appointment by the governor for the unexpired term.
The EIB meets on the fourth Friday of the month, unless there is no pending business. Current members and their term are:
- Bitzer, J. Barry, term expiring January 1, 2023.
- Ely, Sandra, term expiring March 18, 2023.
- Garcia, Karen, term expiring January 1, 2025.
- Honker, William, term expiring June 30, 2025.
- Suina, Phoebe, Board Chair, term expiring January 1, 2025.
- Trujillo-Davis, Amanda, Vice Chair, term expiring January 1, 2023.
Board Counsel: Emily Bowen
Upcoming EIB meetings and associated materials are found on the NMED Events Calendar. Past EIB meeting materials are available on the archived version of our previous website. Meeting recordings are available on the NMED YouTube channel.